Student Speaker 2013
All degree candidates are invited to apply and audition to be the Student Speaker for Commencement 2013. Speeches should be emailed by 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, March 19th to Special Events & University Ceremonies at SpecialEvents@duke.edu. Auditions for finalists will be held later in March.
- Please submit your speech with a cover page with name/email/phone number listed. Do NOT put this information on the pages of the speech itself.
- Speeches should be typed and double spaced
- When presented orally, the speech should last 5-7 minutes and SHOULD NOT EXCEED 7 MINUTES. You should practice your speech to determine the length.
- There are no recommended specific topics - just topics that would be considered suitable for Commencement.
- In terms of a topic, please remember that the ceremonies are for the graduates of all schools - graduate, undergraduate and professional - and we encourage you to remember this when writing your speech. In addition, while not intended for them, the parents and families of these graduates will be in the audience as well.