Citizens' Police Academy
The DUPD Citizens' Police Academy is an eight week course with a two hour class held weekly. Each classroom topic will give insight on the operations of the Duke University Police Department from both uniform patrol and civilian employees.
Our purpose is to make this an enjoyable, as well as a learning, experience for all who participate, promoting the community policing concept at Duke University.
Classes will be taught at 402 Oregon Street. Some classes will require field locations to complete the designated training. Transportation will be provided by DUPD. Instructors will provide training much like that is given at an academy for police recruits.
Requirements / Eligibility
- Faculty, Staff or Students of Duke University / Duke Health Systems
- Good Health
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License
- At least 18 years of age
- Background investigation
- Willing to commit to attending a weekly two hour class for an eight week period
- Open minded and willingness to learn and enjoy at the same time
Duke University Police Department will be hosting its fourth Citizen’s Police Academy this fall. Our objective is to introduce participants to our department using technology, training and experience demonstrating the level of expertise that this department provides for the Duke Community.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, August 22, 2014. Classes begin September 15 and will continue through October 30, 2014. November 7 will conclude the Academy with a Graduation Luncheon.
Activities for this Academy include:
- Felony Vehicle Stops / T-3 Serpentine Course
- Behaviors of Concern / CIT (Crisis Intervention Team)
- Crime Prevention through Environmental Design Exercise
- Mock Crime Scene Investigation
- Introduction to Duke Healthcare Security
- Courtroom Procedures with Superior Court Judge Jim Hardin, Jr.
- “Active Shooter” rapid deployment scenario using participants from DUPD
- Firearms Safety Class / Morning at the Range
- Graduation Luncheon
For further information, please contact PO Eric Hester at (919) 681-5609 or by email: